Leah Joy-
I am in awe of the fact that you are now 3 1/2 years old. In some ways, I feel as though I have been a mom for a million years. Maybe it is the fact that my longing for that role in life was so very powerful, and felt as though it may remain a void forever, until you came along. We have had many a conversation about how much I love being your Mommy, and how much you love being my daughter. You and I were meant to be.
My Love, my Dove, inside that little red head lies a personality that amazes us day in and day out. It seems as though you are a magical combination of sweetness, laced with flecks of spunk and a sense of humor that just won't quit. We laugh and laugh at the goofy things you say, and I am so often taken aback at how you "get it". When you speak sometimes, you are so insanely animated that I swear I can see a future in acting (ugh). I tell you all the time that your middle name truly does suit you, and I am not just saying that cause I have should. You radiate joy, light, and laughter. You have been called everything from an imp to a sprite, all by people who have witnessed your boundless joy and energy personified in your bouncing red ringlets. My girls, you are friendly, kind, funny, smart, stubborn, quick to cry, and extremely high energy...
Some of your very favorite things right now are your Hannie, playing doctor and anything involving medicine or boo-boos, babies, books, playing with friends, Disney movies, singing and dancing, the park, any and all things related to princesses, dress-up, makeup, jewelry, shoes.... you name it! You absolutely adore dresses, and you would change your outfit 500 times a day if I let you. We have also seen that you really love to swim and play in the sand. We went to Aruba a couple of months ago, and you still talk daily about that beach. You call it your "happy place". :) I am also happy to report that our once not so snuggly toddler has now morphed into a total snuggle puppy, and you adore cuddling up with us and reading, telling stories, watching movies, saying prayers, and having your "bewwy" and back tickled. I'll tell you what- it is heaven.
In other ways, though I feel like there is still a learning curve in how to be the best I can be to help you grow into the best possible version of who you are to become. Along with your boundless energy comes some caution from time to time, as well as a willingness to let others do whatever to you. I fear that you will be a people pleaser, much like your parents (apple- tree), and give in to commitments and such when peer pressure or just plain old not being able to say no give way to how you really feel. We are trying to help foster that sense of self in you and give you the confidence in yourself that will, no doubt, serve you for a lifetime.
You are so unbelievably smart and verbal that people often mistake you for a teeny 5 year old in public. (According to you as of late, you are 16, by the way). The talking never.ever.stops, (it's a Pankow thing), and you ramble on an on about everything from bears, to fairies, to boo boos and people who "got blood". It is hard for me to find the balance between letting you play and be a kid, and challenging you to learn more and teaching you appropriate behavior and good choices. I'm not sure if it's the preschool teacher in me, or the fact that you have such potential (or maybe a bit of both), but I just want to make sure you have the best possible childhood. You deserve it.
Being your mom certainly is my greatest blessing, but my greatest challenge lies also in wanting to be there for you and help you grow in every way. I promise to always do my best for you. I know I will screw up, we both will, but my love for you will never fail, never falter and never cease. I love you so fiercely and so deeply, and I know you love me that way, too. Its in the glaces we share,the knowing looks, the giggles and snuggles, the stories about how much fun we have together, and the fact that we share so many hugs and kisses. That will never end, whether you are 3 and a half, or 33 and a half.
Happy half birthday to the most awesome daughter I could have ever hoped for.
Mommy.
No comments:
Post a Comment