Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Not-so-dirty 30

When I was a fun loving, usually good, somewhat bratty 15 year old way back in 1996, I recall thinking about how OLD 30 sounded. I was half way there, and it felt like I was getting older by the second. I had lofty dreams back then, and, ever the planner, I just knew how I wanted my life to go. I knew that, by 30, I wanted to have a career I loved (probably a dolphin trainer at the time...), a wonderful husband (my high school boyfriend was a 6 foot 4 outdoorsman), a nice house to live in (although back then I thought even a dorm was pretty sweet), and a kid or two (I pictured marrying some dark guy so I could have brown-looking babies). This, in the eyes of Erin Clark, was the perfect life for an "OLD" person at the ripe age of 30. I setout to make it happen and hoped for the best as I lived life to the fullest through my teens and early 20's.

Fifteen years later, I find myself in awe of that fact that all of these dreams have come true. Although most, if not all, of the details have changed (dolphin trainer became teacher once I was inspired in college, actual beyond wonderful husband is a 5 foot 8 math teacher, house is a pretty nice pile of bricks, and my daughter- well, as you all know, Leah is the antithesis of dark), the end product has blown my mind. My life is a million times more brilliant that I ever could have dreamed. I had no idea of the joy that was ahead of me as my "years lived" doubled.

On my 30th birthday, I made myself a promise. I will keep dreaming big and taking in life's precious moments. I will keep putting the people I love first in my life, above all else. I will keep trying to be the mother, wife, teacher, daughter, sister, citizen and friend I strive to be, though I know perfection is far from reeachable. I will try to be better every day, and, hopefully, when my lifespan doubles again, I will find myself having as much happiness and love around me as I do today, and will have made afew people smile on the way.

Bring it on, 30's! I am ready for you!

Here are some shots from the fabulous party that my parent's threw for me to celebrate the end of three decades. I have them to thank for just about everything in life, including this wonderful day!






























Thank you to everyone who made the celebration so special! You make my little corner of the world a better place!

1 comment: